?

단축키

Prev이전 문서

Next다음 문서

ESC닫기

크게 작게 위로 아래로 댓글로 가기 인쇄

Fourth Sunday of Ordinary Time

How was January?  

Today is the last Sunday of the month.  Let us reflect on the last 30 days based on our faith.  Did I live my daily and religious life appropriately?  When we review and fine-tune our lives, we should be able to start February on the right path.  

In 2021, the world was hopeful and ready to get back to some normalcy by vaccinating everyone.  But after a month of vaccine distribution and injection, our hope is diminishing with various difficulties and challenges.  Many Alaskans have been vaccinated but there are more residents who do not know when they will receive their shots.  I was able to check “News Break” app to find out when I will be eligible to receive a vaccine shot:

Alaska has received a total of 178,075 doses thus far.

108,858 have received their first dose

I would be eligible to receive once 247,400 receive theirs.  My dose has not even arrived, yet.  

The world is competing to acquire vaccines for their own citizens.  Wealthy nations are amassing vaccines such that poor countries are not able to acquire theirs.  Rich people are cutting into waiting lists and medical staff diverting vaccines also. 

Recently, there is a famous book “On the Duties of the Clergy” written by Saint Ambrose translated into Korean.  This book treats the character and morality of clergies while outlining the code of ethics for all faithful in church and civil servants in our goverment.  The essence of the treatise is the righteousness and benefits: “righteousness cannot be unbeneficial.”    The book rebukes and spiritually remedies our modern society that pursues profits without justification, undermines integrity for profits, chooses practical usefulness instead of morality, and focuses on flexibility rather than righteousness.  Fortunately, Korea has joined COVAX vaccine procurement pool sponsored by World Health Organization to fairly distribute vaccine to all world population.  

Today’s gospel delivers Jesus’ authority in his teachings.  “People were astonished at his teachings, for he taught them as one having authority and not as the scribes.” (Mark 1:22)  What was different?  The authority is linked to God.  The scribes spoke in God’s name even though “God did not command it.” (Deuteronomy 18: 20)  Instead of righteousness, the scribes only considered their political gains and own interest thus placing heavy burden on the people.  

Instead Jesus told, “All that I command” and taught with integrity.  (Deuteronomy 18:18)  The authority of justice saved tainted souls.  Righteousness cannot be unbeneficial.  

Today is the last Sunday in January.  Let us reflect on our religious daily lives and start a new month on the righteous path.  

Let us meditate.

Articles