by 웹마스터 posted Feb 18, 2021
?

단축키

Prev이전 문서

Next다음 문서

ESC닫기

크게 작게 위로 아래로 댓글로 가기 인쇄

Praise be to Jesus Christ,

Today is the beginning of the Lenten Season, Ash Wednesday.   During Lent, the sky opens up and blessings pour down on us.  Just as the first reading, we need to return to God and pray for mercy.  

I have received the first dose of vaccine today.  I have previously never received any flu vaccine nor taken any vitamin supplements.  I was even willing to give up vaccine shot for others as well.  However, I was persuaded since I have to meet many parishioners and others.  I also thought about why I must take the vaccine shot.  

Vaccine is a preventive measure and it protects the body from various diseases.  It supports our health and our family members that I am exposed to.  It makes it safer to be with our loved ones; especially when you have families with underlying conditions.  Furthermore, it helps towards reaching herd immunity.  Based on these benefits, it made more sense why the vaccine shot is free; why CARRS gave out a 10% discount coupon along with a rose.  It is not about for me but for others and the community.  

Lent is vaccine for our faith.  It is medicine to protect our faith.  Lenten season matures our faith and supports our families.  We raise our children through faith; we support those in need with more prayers and faith.  Through compassionate actions we take care of our neighbors and church; we become light and salt for our community.  Why do we have Lenten season every year?  I begin to understand why we are blessed Lent.  It is not just for me but for others and the community we live in.  

Just as we receive vaccine shots, I hope we observe Lent with diligence.  Then what must we do?

Lenten season is about change.  We place ash on our head and hear: “For you are dust and to dust you will return.”  We invite humility and repentance.  We recognize our insignificance, God’s infinite power, and begin Lent towards God through our repentance.  

Today’s gospel teaches how to change; it requires charity, prayer, and fasting.  Through charity we act out our love, through prayer we strengthen our faith, and through fasting we minimize overindulgences.  

We begin our Lent with Ash Wednesday.  Just as the second reading tells us, Lent is a very blessed time.  Let us do all we can and walk the path towards God.  Through charity, prayer, and fasting, we need to mature our faith and help others to attain their salvation.  

Let us meditate for a moment.

Articles