by 웹마스터 posted May 02, 2021
?

단축키

Prev이전 문서

Next다음 문서

ESC닫기

크게 작게 위로 아래로 댓글로 가기 인쇄

Fourth Sunday of Easter

How was your week?  May the joy and peace of risen Jesus be with all of us.

Cheong-Ju diocese, where I am from, has a pre-seminary dormitory called “Yang-Up-Gwan.”  These are students who aspire to become a priest from “Gam-Gok Maeri-Gui” high school.  They stay to pray and study at this center.  I served as a spiritual counseling priest who was responsible for their confessions and general counseling.  

During one of the sessions, I asked them what type of priest they want to be.  

They answered:

• “Priest who makes parishioners want to come to the church.”
  • “Priest who makes everyone comfortable.”
  • “Priest who is wholesome helps children, and helpful.”
  • “Priest who is fair to parishioners”
  • “Priest who is funny and creates a relaxed atmosphere.”

They are the only sophomores in high school; yet, their thoughts are praiseworthy and insightful.  Their attitude towards others emulates our shepherd, Jesus: “I am the good shepherd.  A good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep.” (John 10:11)

After six years, I met them through a seminary program at my previous parish.  Two of them joined the program after their military duty and one of them joined after graduating from the university.  I spent one month with them and was able to observe their mature outlook both in their words and actions as well as their faith.  I was quite pleased.  I hope they continue to be like the good shepherd, Jesus, as time passes.  

Unfortunately, due to a lack of students, the pre-seminary dormitory has been closed.  There was only one registered student in 2021 in the Cheong-Ju Diocese.  The number of volunteers who sign up for seminaries and convents has dramatically been reduced in recent years.  We all need to be more attentive and pray for them.  

As we celebrate the Feast of Saint Mark the Evangelist, we need to pray for monasteries, convents, clergies, and missionaries.  

Let us meditate for a moment.

Articles