by 조신형프란치스코 posted Nov 28, 2021
?

단축키

Prev이전 문서

Next다음 문서

ESC닫기

크게 작게 위로 아래로 댓글로 가기 인쇄

First Sunday of Advent

“Be vigilant at all times and pray.” (Luke 21:36)

We have heard this many times.  Let us recite together: “Let us be vigilant at all times and pray.”

I hope we can all “be vigilant and pray.”  

According to the Church calendar, today is the first day of a new year.  May God’s blessings be with all you as we celebrate the new year.  

Do you remember this picture?

1638138097361.jpg

The Church calendar includes: Advent, Ordinary, Lent, and Easter.  Each period has its own significance and reveals the path to our faith.  All members of the church follow the traditions in each period.  

Today is the beginning of Advent and a new year.  As we celebrate the new year, we reflect on Aristotle’s quote “Well begun is half done.”  What does this mean?

There are many meanings in the quote but I find a direction most noteworthy.  When you start something, you are setting a new direction.  Even if you are accelerating at full speed you will deviate from your goal if you are on a wrong direction.  A righteous path achieves at least half of your work.  

“Be vigilant at all times and Pray” means we need to continuously verify if we are on a right course.  

Let us ensure we have the right posture.  “Open your shoulders and lift your chin.”  

Let us focus our eyes and look forward.  If our hearts are proper and we can live a healthy life.

Let us close our eyes and draw a cross.  Then a stature of Mother Mary.  

When our spirits are righteous then we can live with faith.  

In the Catechism of the Catholic Church Part 3, we find “Christian, recognize your dignity.”    When I first read this section, I was shocked as to how our Church can express its beauty with such elegance.  

“He or she is elegant.”  We have heard this phrase many times.  Let us say to one another “you are elegant.”  Now that you have been recognized as elegant, let us live gracefully.  

If you want to maintain your class, you cannot falter.  The elegance of a person is revealed through his or her words and actions.  We need to maintain honorable words and actions.  We need to strengthen our faith, maintain hope, and demonstrate our love in actions.  

“Be vigilant at all times and pray” in order to keep our spirits righteous and remember to maintain elegance so that we may continue our journey towards the everlasting life.  

Today is the First Sunday of Advent.  It is a new year.  

We believe in our God, who knows us the best, to lead us to the best path for us so that we may continue to live in hope and love.  

Let us meditate for a moment.

Articles