단축키

Prev이전 문서

Next다음 문서

ESC닫기

크게 작게 위로 아래로 댓글로 가기 인쇄

Third Sunday in Ordinary Time

Praise be to Jesus Christ

How was your week?

Today is the Third Sunday in Ordinary Time or the Word of God Sunday as proclaimed by Pope Francis.

We pray that God will bless us in His words.  In addition, we should familiarize the Words with reverence.  

God’s Words were the center of Israelites’ life.  After the fall of Israel, the Jews were exiled to Babylon for 50 years.  When they returned with Nehemiah, they began rebuilding the Temple.  During the reconstruction, they listened to the Words with Ezra, the priest.  

The people of Israel revered the Words of God.  As Ezra opened the book of law, all stood up to praise God and said “Amen.  Amen.”  Then they kneeled down and prostrated themselves.

The Words are powerful with comfort and hope.  The Jews were overwhelmed with emotions and cried.  They submitted themselves to God and matured as people of God.  

This faith based on the Words reaches its peak with the Son, Jesus Christ.  Jesus’ public life in the book of Luke begins with his teachings at a synagogue.  

“The spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he has anointed me to bring glad tidings to the poor.  He has sent me to proclaim liberty captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free, and to proclaim a year acceptable to the Lord.”  (Luke 4:18-19)

The Words clearly reveals Jesus’ mission.  It is to have all people enjoy the freedom and liberty in God’s love.  He wishes for each and every one to be happy and enjoy the joy of salvation and God’s kingdom.  In order to deliver this happiness, God has sent His Words to us.  

When Pope Francis proclaimed this Sunday as the Words of God, he hoped that we would consecrate the entire day and remember the Words.  We need to worship and to recite the Words as we reflect and pray.  

As we celebrate the Words of God Sunday, we need to revere and familiarize them as we implement charity.  

“Today this Scripture passage is fulfilled your hearing.” (Luke 4:21)  Amen.

Articles